dThe FSV Mainz 05 and the 1. FC Union Berlin A respite was lost in the fight for relegation from the Bundesliga. In the recovery match, both clubs drew 1-1 (1-1) on Wednesday night and are still stuck at the bottom of the table. Especially for Rheinhessen, who are in second-to-last place, things are getting more and more uncomfortable in the relegation zone after the tenth game without a win.

In front of 26,200 spectators, they took the lead thanks to Jonathan Burkardt's 1-0 victory (minute 45/+8). Robin Gosens scored the equalizer (45th/+13th). The fact that there was such a long stoppage time in the first half was due to repeated protests from fans.

The match started fast and turbulent. In the third minute, 05 goalkeeper Robin Zentner had to stretch hard to deflect a shot from Benedict Hollerbach. A little later, Mainz almost conceded the early goal, but the Union striker Kevin Volland (7th) sent the ball to the crossbar after a volley cross.

No luck in our own area Mainz As so many times, first in front of the opponent's goal. In the ninth minute neither Sepp van den Berg nor Leandro Barreiro could beat Union goalkeeper Frederik Rönnow with their shots from close range. Seconds later, the situation became agitated again in the Berlin goal area: 05 striker Ludovic Ajorque, who had missed two penalties against Rönnow in the first leg, received Robin Knoche's foot hard in the face. The Frenchman was able to continue playing despite bleeding from his nose. There were no penalties because Knoche had touched the ball previously.

Burkardt and Gosens succeed

After about half an hour, the team's enthusiasm was curbed by fans' protests. Tennis balls were thrown onto the grass from the block of invited fans to protest against the entry of investors requested by the German Football League. The match had to be stopped for more than ten minutes when the score was 0-0.

When it was possible to play again, it was the Union attacker Volland who hit the aluminum for the second time, this time on the post. In the long extra time caused by the protests, Mainz's Burkardt scored with a header to make it 1-0. But the joy did not last long. As if from nowhere, Gosens equalized with a volley from a beautiful cross.

The hosts dominated more in the second half, but were unable to take advantage of the few opportunities they had on the rain-soaked field. The Berliners, coached by their teammate Danijel Jumic, did not have any more scoring opportunities either. Union coach Nenad Bjelica had to look in the stands again after being suspended for attacking national player Leroy Sané in the Munich match.