Three young men from North Rhine-Westphalia are said to have planned an Islamist attack. The 15 and 16 year olds are currently detained.

A police car is parked in front of the Düsseldorf regional and district court.

The Düsseldorf district court deals with the suspicion of terrorism against the three young people Photo: Michael Gstettenbauer/imago

Dusseldorf dpa | Three young people from North Rhine-Westphalia, aged 15 and 16, are detained on suspicion of terrorism. The Düsseldorf District Court had already issued arrest warrants against them on the Easter weekend at the request of the Central Terrorism Prosecution Office (ZenTer NRW), the Düsseldorf Public Prosecutor's Office announced on Friday. The defendants are strongly suspected of having planned a terrorist attack for Islamist reasons.

According to the information, the detainees are a 15-year-old boy from Düsseldorf, a 15-year-old boy from the Soest district and a 16-year-old boy from the Märkisches Kreis. According to investigators, they would have agreed to commit a crime (murder and manslaughter) along with the preparation of an act of serious violence that would endanger the State. The presumption of innocence applies at all stages of the procedure.

Security sources said the youths had formed a chat group. It is said that there was no specific attack plan with a date and place. But researchers “definitely saw the danger.” There were also searches.

It was not until November when two teenagers, aged 15 and 16, were arrested on suspicion of terrorism, allegedly sympathizing with the so-called Islamic State and planning an attack on the Christmas market with a vehicle. They were arrested in North Rhine-Westphalia and Brandenburg. No fuel was found during the searches. But there was a “very specific model of thought” to plan the crime, the prosecution stated at the time.