Unknown persons threw an incendiary device at the door of the church on Friday. There was little material damage. Interior Minister Faeser described the act as “inhumane.”

A door of the Oldenburg synagogue blackened by fire

A possible unspecified “quick intervention” prevented further spread of the fire: the entrance door of the Oldenburg synagogue Photo: Hauke-Christian Dittrich/dpa

OLDENBURG EPD/AFP | An arson attack occurred at the Oldenburg synagogue on Friday. Federal Interior Minister Nancy Faeser condemned the act. The incident was a “disgusting” and “inhumane attack on Jews.” Faeser explained on Friday in the online service.

The Minister of the Interior of Lower Saxony, Daniela Behrens (SPD), stated: “Although the background of the crime is still unclear, it affects me very much,” she stated: “For me, the arson attacks on the synagogues are absolutely reprehensible and indescribable. “My deepest condolences to the members of the Jewish community in Oldenburg and beyond.” In the evening, about 300 people gathered at a vigil in front of the synagogue to show their solidarity.

At noon, unknown persons threw an incendiary device at the door of the synagogue on Leo-Trepp-Strasse. At first, numerous emergency services searched in vain for the suspects, according to the Oldenburg police. The background is still unclear and investigations are being carried out “in all directions.”

According to police, no event was taking place at the synagogue at the time. A door was damaged by the flames. Therefore, possible further spread of the fire was prevented by an unspecified “rapid intervention” and firefighters did not need to be deployed. No one was injured.

According to Oldenburg Police Chief Andreas Sagehorn, the police increased security measures at the synagogue until the background was clarified.

Faeser expressed his solidarity with the Jewish community of Oldenburg and thanked the Lower Saxony police. “The author or authors must be identified and held accountable,” she demanded.

Minister Behrens emphasized: “The Jews of Lower Saxony should not be afraid or feel threatened.” Security authorities would do everything possible to identify the perpetrator or perpetrators. “The rule of law will show a clear advantage here.”

The bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Oldenburg and president of the council of the Confederation of Protestant Churches of Lower Saxony, Thomas Adomeit, was “horrified by this cowardly act.” “This vile and inhumane attack sadly demonstrates once again that we have not overcome the evil of anti-Semitism in our society,” he said. His thoughts are with his Jewish brothers and sisters. “We are firmly at his side. “It is unacceptable that our Jewish sisters and brothers have to worry about their own lives.”

Mayor Krogmann said: “Attacks on synagogues are attacks on all of us. “We will not accept that a Jewish institution in our city has become the target of an attempted attack.” Police Chief Sagehorn also spoke of a “cowardly act” at the Jewish place of worship. Security measures at the synagogue would be increased immediately.

In the afternoon, at the rally in front of the synagogue, a spokesman for the “Oldenburg Alliance against Anti-Semitism and Anti-Zionism” recalled that the city's Jewish cemetery had been the target of anti-Semitic neo-Nazi attacks on numerous occasions, most of them times. most recently in 2015. In 2021, the memorial to the murdered Jews was smeared with anti-Semitic slander. The speaker announced another demonstration at the Julius-Mosen-Platz in Oldenburg for this Sunday at 1:00 p.m.

The street in front of the synagogue remembers former Rabbi Leo Trepp (1913-2010). He was rabbi in Oldenburg from 1936 to 1938 and experienced the November pogroms of the National Socialists there.