This is a version of the article from CBS Sports HQ’s AM newsletter, the definitive guide to everyday sports. You can sign up to receive it in your inbox every weekday morning here.
Please check the subscription box to acknowledge that you wish to subscribe.
Thanks for registering!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
An error occurred while processing your subscription.
🏈 Soccer five
- Patriots are 0-2 for the first time since 2001 after the dolphins won 24-17 in Foxborough. Raheem Mostert had 121 rushing yards and two touchdowns with Xavier Howard (interception) and DeShon Elliott (fumble recovery) providing conclusions. Tua Tagovailoa is 5-0 against Bill Belichick and Miami is 2-0 on the season despite playing both games on the road.
- What a week for the NFC East! He Cowboys dominated the Aaron Rodgers-less Jets, 30-10intercepting zack wilson three times. . He Giants (down 21 points) and Commanders (18) with washington thanks to a controversial two-point conversion support. The giants lost Saquon Barkley to an ankle injury, but .
- He bosses I got two stars back and returned to the win column. Making his season debut, Travis Kelce caught a touchdown and Chris Jones He contributed 1.5 sacks plus five pressures as bosses achieved a 17-9 victory about him jaguars. Another recovering Super Bowl contender, the Bills strangled him raiders, 38-10.
- A rookie quarterback has the No. 1 win of his career, but he wasn’t there to finish it. Antonio Richardson he ran for two touchdowns but 31-20 victory about him jeans. Richardson left both of his NFL games early due to injury. and Gardner Minshew finished things off in the foals‘
- Rams wide receiver Puka Nacua had a 30-23 defeat toward 49ers. Nacua’s monstrous start to his career places him in . in a
💪 Good morning everyone but especially…
THE BALTIMORE CROWS
Are two top offensive linemen missing? Sure. Are the two best defensive backs gone? No problem. Has the starting running back finished the year? Next man up. Star receiver leaving early? He finds a way. He crows continued fighting with an impressive 27-24 victory about him bengali to reach 2-0 in the young season.
- Lamar Jackson he threw for 237 yards and two touchdowns (including an absolute dime for nelson aholor in the fourth quarter), rushed for 54 yards and was not sacked. Agholor came later Odell Beckham Jr. although it is not considered serious.
- Gus Edwards (filling in for J.K. Dobbins) rushed for 62 yards and a score, and Baltimore accumulated 178 yards on the ground and allowed only 66.
- gene stone (filling in for Mark Williams) had a crucial interception joe burrow.
The Ravens produce rosters with great talent and depth year after year, and it shows in games like this. They earned a.
- From Ardo: “The Ravens set the tone on the first drive of the game when they took almost eight minutes off the clock. From there, John HarbaughThe team played complementary football taking advantage of the Bengals’ mistakes. On offense, the Ravens employed a well-balanced attack that put Lamar Jackson in mostly manageable third-down situations. On defense, Baltimore largely kept Cincinnati’s offense off the schedule and often put Joe Burrow in less than desirable situations.”
👍 Honorable mentions
😓 And not so good days for…
THE CINCINNATI BENGALS AND THE LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
Maybe it’s just a feature of these bengali. Maybe it’s just another 0-2 start, just like last year. Maybe they’ll turn it back on and this conversation will turn out to be a nonsense.
But maybe there’s something wrong that the Bengals need to change… quickly.
- Burrow That caused him to miss almost the entire training camp. He may have never fully healed in the first place: he is 0-for-12 on throws more than 15 yards downfield this season.
- The Bengals had 54 pass plays of 20-plus yards last year, more than three per game. They have two out of every two games this year, tied for the fewest of any team that has played multiple games.
- No team that has started consecutive seasons 0-2 and made the playoffs both times. So Cincinnati has sunk into a hole in the rankings and history.
Cincinnati was one of fell in overtime, 27-24toward Titans. Los Angeles led 11-0 early and appeared to be in complete control against an offensively challenged Tennessee team., but at least we know they can respond from a slow start. We are not so sure about the Chargers after them
But remember when I said the Bengals can’t produce big plays? Well, the Chargers can’t stop them. They have allowed 12 plays of 20-plus yards this season, tied for the most in the NFL.writes Will Brinson.
- Brinson: “Brandon Staley is a defensive coach and the Chargers consistently fail to play good defense… Since the Super Bowl era began, 34 teams have scored more than 50 points without a turnover during their first two weeks. The Chargers are the only one of “Those teams will start the season 0-2. Staley is the leader in the clubhouse for the first coach fired at this time. That Week 5 bye is coming up.”
👎 Not so honorable mentions
🏈 College football roundup: Colorado rebounds, Tennessee gets swampy again
It looked like this would be a relatively quiet weekend of college football, with no top 25 matchups and plenty of expected explosions.
Looks are deceiving.
A wild Saturday ended on an especially wild and feisty note with Colorado gathering for a 43-35 victory in double overtime on Colorado State.
- Down eight and starting at their own 2-yard line with just over 2 minutes left, the Buffaloes took off. Shedeur Sanders led a game-tying drive with a 45-yard touchdown to Jimmy Horn Jr. and a conversion from 2 points to michael harrison.
- After the Buffaloes and Rams traded touchdowns and extra points in the first overtime, Sanders found Harrison for a touchdown and Xavier Weaver for a 2-point conversion in the second period.
- In the way of the Rams, Trevor Woods collected Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi to seal the victory.
Oh, and since it’s Colorado, you know there were a lot of extracurricular activities: Lil’ Wayneand was one of several celebrities in attendance, Colorado State and Coach Prime
Buffs didn’t leave without some bumps and bruises: Two-way star travis hunter willpowerand in fact they fell one place to 19th place in the . They will gladly take a 3-0 record into a gigantic showdown with No. 10 Oregon on Saturday.
Regarding a team No advancing to 3-0, Tennessee was hit by Florida in the swamp, 29-16, but that’s nothing new: The Volunteers have lost 10 in a row in Gainesville. Them and the quarterback jose milton were writes Shehan Jeyarajah.
- Jeyaraja: “Any hope that Tennessee can replicate its magical 2022 season seems completely out of the question after being criticized by a mediocre Florida team… Milton’s stats (20 of 34 for 287 yards and two touchdowns) aren’t brutal, but they are hide the imprecision and lack of cohesion that persisted throughout the night…. Playing FCS Austin Peay to a score of 30-13 was an indication that there are huge structural problems for the Volunteers in 2023.”
That wasn’t the only surprise in the top 25: Missouri kicker Harrison Mevisbeat Kansas State. Missouri was then .
There were also some even bigger surprises: Alabama‘s The offense looked terrible in the 17-3 win. on FSUand Georgia I had to recovery from a double-digit deficit beat South Carolina. Will Backus has a .
As for everything else…
Now we expect a loaded Week 4.
⚾ MLB Power Rankings and weekend summary
I always say the MLB season is too long. Well, technically not anymore. There are two weeks left and playoff spots are disappearing quickly. Just this weekend, the Dodgerswhile the Orioles and good heavens both .
We now have two teams that have clinched their division and, as expected, they are #1 and #2 in Matt Snyder’s latest rankings..
- Braves (previous: 1)
- Dodgers (4)
- Orioles (2)
- Lightning (3)
- Brewers (8)
Matt also explains the hilarious nature of Wild Card racing INSERT LINK TKTKTKTKTKTK, and the.
Also this weekend…
📺 What we will see on Monday
⚾ Twins in Reds18:40 on FS1
🏈 Saints in Panthers7:15 pm on ESPN
🏈 Browns on Steelers8pm on ABC